Re: list3i etc.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: list3i etc.
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 11:23:12 +0200

> Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 12:58:09 +0400
> From: Dmitry Antipov <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
>
> On 03/07/2013 11:01 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> >> Can we have a more mnemonically significant names for these, please?
> >> Like list_of_numbers2, list_of_numbers3, etc., for example?
>
> Of course we can. But IMHO they're "mnemonically significant" already,

Obviously, I disagree.  The names list2, list3 etc. _are_ good for
mnemonics, because all they do is construct lists of N members.  But
what is the 'i' part is completely obfuscated, IMO.

If the length of the name is a factor, then I can suggest list_ints2,
list_ints3 etc.

> and the similar approach is widely used here and there. For example,
> OpenGL API uses glFoo[sifd] to denote versions of glFoo with short/int/
> float/double arguments.

That others sin similarly shouldn't stop us from doing TRT ;-)

> > Also, why are they implemented as inline functions?  They call list,
> > list3, etc. which aren't inlined.
>
> Hm... I guess that we don't want function call overhead for such a simple
> things

Why not?  Are these used in any context where speed matters?