can't extract text from pdf using emacs 24.3

From: covici
Subject: can't extract text from pdf using emacs 24.3
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 10:41:16 -0400

Hi.  I am having problems trying to extract text using emacs 24.3 -- and
actually even 24.2.  If I try to find a pdf, it just comes up with the
pdf itself -- if I then type doc-view-mode it ask me the question about
unable to render file, extract text instead, but when I say y, I get the
following message:
DocView: process pdf->txt changed status to killed.

It does work correctly in emacs 23.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

How do
you spend it?