Google Summer of Code - some ideas

From: Aurélien Aptel
Subject: Google Summer of Code - some ideas
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 18:46:04 +0200

Hi,

I would like to work on Emacs itself for this year GSoC. I have
several projects in mind.

- Modules & FFI

I'm interested in adding a way to load compiled modules dynamically
and possibly add a FFI. I say possibly because the more I look into
into the more I realize it's not really helpful for complex stuff and
simple stuff are easy to do with a module. I know Joakim Verona
suggested to look into GObjectIntrospection which he implemented in
his xwidget branch but I have not looked at it yet. It's possible that
this project overlaps a bit with Daimrod's project [1] in which case
we could both work on it, I don't think it would be a problem.

I've also already posted on the mailing list about it [2] if you want
to know more.

- Internal documentation

I have started a "Hacker Guide" on the wiki few month ago [3] hoping
some people would jump in to help me (didn't happen :( ). Anyway Eli
gave me some advice and suggestions to improve it but I didn't have
the time to work on it. Ultimately this could end up in the manual. I
could also clean/fix some things as I document them.

- Support for library <FOO>

By support I mean expose the lib API to Emacs Lisp. I don't know which
lib could be added but I'm sure people here could make some
suggestions. This can be done to extend Elisp or to make it faster (or
both :).

All these are just ideas, you can always suggest something different
for any of them.

As for the credentials, I've already several contributions related to Emacs :
- raw strings patch which you can read more about on my blog [4]
- under-"waving" patch (accepted) [5]
- I've worked on org-mode in last year GSoC

Also I've already signed/sent the copyright assignment, so that's
done. Thought I should mention it.

So, If an emacs hacker is interested in mentoring any of these
projects please manifest yourself :) !

1: http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/158990
2: http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/151243
3: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/HackerGuide