Re: Google Summer of Code - some ideas

From: Aurélien Aptel
Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code - some ideas
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 19:51:55 +0200

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 4:34 PM, Stefan Monnier
<address@hidden> wrote:
>> I say possibly because the more I look into into the more I realize
>> it's not really helpful for complex stuff and simple stuff are easy to
>> do with a module.
>
> Things like libxml2 and libgnutls should use such a mechanism instead of
> the one they use currently.

I agree.

> Adding support for other libraries is problematic currently, so I'd
> rather try and avoid it until we have something like an FFI, so that we
> can add libraries without having to recompile Emacs.

I understand. My project could then be:

- add support for compiled modules
- rewrite libxml2 and libgnutls as modules
- complete GIR implementation

It looks like a lot of work so I can't guarantee I'll be done by the
end of the summer but I'll surely be closer to the end than the start
:)