Re: GSoC 2013

From: joakim
Subject: Re: GSoC 2013
Date: Mon, 06 May 2013 09:58:50 +0200

> chad writes:
>
>  > GSoC is an effort to help get potential hackers hacking, not to
>  > outsource programming needs to cheap labor.
>
> It's both, and more.  In particular, it's *not* a mentor-student
> relationship, it's a project-student relationship, *represented* by
> the mentor.
>
>  > Anyone who actually wants to see Emacs get more involved in GSoC
>  > needs to start putting in organizational effort (creating process,
>  > identifying projects, recruiting students, recruiting mentors, etc)
>  > *before*, not *at* the deadline.
>
> Exactly my point.  Giving Emacs slots is just encouraging its bad
> behavior.  There are a lot of well-behaved projects out there, some
> with excellent students, who aren't going to get slots.  Emacs is most
> likely going to get slots it doesn't deserve.  That sucks.

Some of us are making a best effort. The effort doesnt show much on this
list because its not here its taking place.

IMO the project I intend to mentor is going well. Not because of me
because I my brain wasnt fitted with an administration module. Damirod
wrote the proposals etc, and he made a good job.

--
Joakim Verona