Re: image-size

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: image-size
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 18:50:07 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> I don't think so.  Where do you see X calls that "push the image to
> the X server"?

I don't, really, but I think somebody said that the last time I asked
"why is `image-size' so slow"?

> I see no reason for relying on imagemagick.  You will see in each
> 'load' method a short fragment of code that finds the image size.  If
> you want a "fast path", just add another flag argument to the 'load'
> method that tells it to return as soon as it computed the size, and
> that's it.

If Emacs doesn't do anything weird in lookup_image, then why does it
take so long?  Like I said, when running Emacs over ssh, `image-size' is
very slow.  Calling it on a medium-size image typically takes almost a
second from home to work.  If I just call the ImageMagick function size
function directly, it takes 0.01s on the same image.

> Restricting this to Emacs built with imagemagick would be a
> regrettable limitation, IMO.

Well, it's an optimisation.  Which I think 99% of the binary-distributed
Emacs copies has, so I didn't really see the need.