Re: How to restore the layout?

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: How to restore the layout?
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 17:39:11 +0200

On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 5:30 PM, martin rudalics <address@hidden> wrote:

> Finally I understand what you said then.

I need to work on my communication skills...

> I'm not sure whether this
> might be considered a feature as well.  It could remind you that at that
> time you had some buffer open for selecting a buffer, reading help, the
> shell ...

I don't consider it a feature. I very often have the IELM buffer open,
but it is usually temporary and the fact that it gets "saved" (the
correspondence window <-> buffer, I mean, as the buffer is not really
saved) is just by accident, because I do not bother to kill the IELM
buffer before exiting Emacs.

Previously, just adding "*ielm*" to dektop-buffers-not-to-save would
have sufficed, of course. Realizing the problem with window-state-put,
I though of adding a hook or a desktop-* customization option to
delete windows before saving, but that should distinguish between M-x
desktop-save and M-x save-buffers-kill-terminal, which is ugly. So
it's better to add some way either to show another buffer, as you
suggest, or delete the window after restoring it (that'd be my
preferred behavior, I think).

>  Maybe a better solution would be to show the *Messages*
> buffer saying that the previous buffer doesn't exist any more.

Well, if many buffers are left unrestored it could get a bit
confusing, because all messages will be shown in multiple windows. But
it is still better than what happens now.