Re: A new name for the state of a set of frames?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: A new name for the state of a set of frames?
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 11:46:31 -0400

> I had settled in naming the structure (and thus the file) frame-state
> (a state of a set of frames, like frame-configuration is the
> configuration of a set of frames), but it has been suggested to me
> that it is a really bad name.

I must agree that I do not like window-state and frame-state, just like
I don't like window-configuration and frame-configuration:
to my ear, a "window state" or a "window configuration" sounds like
the state/config of a single window, rather than that of all the windows
in a frame.

IOW I'd find "frame-state" to be more fitting for what we now call
window-state/configuration.

Conclusion: these names are confusing.

I'm not sure what would be a good name for those things, but a better
name than what we have would be to simply use the plural form:
windows-state & frames-state.

        Stefan