Re: Menu bar icons

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Menu bar icons
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 16:43:44 -0400

> I have a patch against the trunk which allows for using icons instead of
> titles in the OS X menu bar.  The idea is to leave more room to the
> status bar, but I'll just point you to the blog article I've just
> written about this (patch attached there with explanations).

I'm not necessarily opposed to such a feature, but:
- By principle, we do not like to install features that only work on
  proprietary systems.  So, you'd have to at least make it work with the
  GNUstep or Gtk menus.
- Maybe a simpler strategy (easier to make it work on all systems) would
  be to provide shorthands.  I.e. have some clever Elisp bit rewrite the
  menu-bar entries according to some alist of shorthands.

        Stefan