Re: Building Emacs from a new MinGW environment

From: Dani Moncayo
Subject: Re: Building Emacs from a new MinGW environment
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 18:09:37 +0200

> OK, then we could put this line
>
>   test "$MSYSTEM" = "MINGW32" && srcdir=`(cd "$srcdir"; pwd -W)`
>
> immediately below the 'esac' in the fragment I've shown.  Does that do
> the job for you?

I've tried it but the bootstrap fails.  I'm attaching the output of
the corresponding "make bootstrap" .

>> I think that the right fix is to replace *all* the treatment of
>> patterns like the above ("/c/whatever" or "c:/whatever") with logic
>> based on the "pwd -W" feature of MSYS.
>>
>> IOW, an MSYS path doesn't have to match none of the above patterns, so
>> the only reliable way of getting a Windows-native path is with "pwd
>> -W".
>>
>> Therefore, things line "msys_to_w32", "msys_lisppath_to_w32" should be
>> replaced with the above criteria.
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you are suggesting, specifically.  Can
> you show a patch that works for you?

I'm not yet familiar enough with the logic involved here.  I've tried
something but it didn't work either.

But the general principle is that, it is conceptually wrong to do
conversions of pathnames from MSYS format to native windows format
based on pattern substitution, assuming that the MSYS paths will
always be either in "/X/whatever" format or in "X:/whatever" format.

Therefore, whenever we need to convert pathnames from any
MSYS-compliant format to the windows-native counterpart, the only
reliable way is using the "pwd -W" feature.

> In any case, the problem with src/.gdbinit in the build tree still
> needs to be solved; no amount of changes in the Makefile's can do
> that, because that file is created by config.status.  So we still need
> something in configure.ac as well.

FWIW, with the last change you suggested, the file "src/.gdbinit" in
the build tree now contains this:
   source C:/msys/home/d.moncayo.melgar/emacs/emacs.git/src/.gdbinit

> The advantage of my suggestion is that it solves this problem in a
> single place, once and for all, while what you seem to suggest would
> need multiple changes in many places.  Why is that better?

See above.  Again: doing conversions to windows-native format like
e.g. piping through "msys_to_w32" is conceptually wrong, I think,
because not all MSYS-compliant paths will match the "/X/.." or
"X:/..." patterns.

--
Dani Moncayo