Re: security of the emacs package system, elpa, melpa and marmalade

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: security of the emacs package system, elpa, melpa and marmalade
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 00:42:27 +0200

Hi Matthias,

Matthias Dahl <address@hidden> writes:

> The question that is bugging me now: Why is that? Since Emacs, imho,
> addresses a more technical audience and is maintained by professionals,
> I wouldn't expect such a thing, actually. Especially since it is not
> written in such a commong language that everyone learns during their
> first years in high-school or university which implies a certain level
> of interest and knowledge in programming if one decides to tackle
> lisp.

don't forget those out there who are not educated at all in computer
science and who picked up Lisp just because they loved Emacs.  I don't
think this is such a minority, and this may explain why many security
concerns (for which you *need* to study computer science), may have
been overlooked while Emacs was progressing.

2 cents of course,

--
 Bastien