Re: security of the emacs package system, elpa, melpa and marmalade

From: Matthias Dahl
Subject: Re: security of the emacs package system, elpa, melpa and marmalade
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 11:02:46 +0200

Hello Stefan...

> Emacs is about empowering the user.

Sure. But all of that does not necessarily contradict security or make
the code full of security leaks / holes.

> To me, the problem it too ill-understood to be able to design a workable
> solution.

Agreed. It was never my intention in this discussion to find a solution,
just to start the discussion and the process that might lead to a
solution eventually down the road.

> So I think the only way to attack the problem is to perform experiments
> to get a feel for what might work and what problems show up.

Ah, justice. I knew this would come back to me and bite me. ;) I know
that since I am the one who started this discussion, it is expected of
me (or considered good manors) that I volunteer to do so. And I'd in all
honesty gladly jump on in... but my familiarity with the code base is
very far from sufficient for this. This is something for someone with a
very strong grasp of Elisp and Emacs, imho. :(

So long,
Matthias

--
Dipl.-Inf. (FH) Matthias Dahl | Software Engineer | binary-island.eu
 services: custom software [desktop, mobile, web], server administration