Re: Unanswered Emacs Problem Reports 40+ Months

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Unanswered Emacs Problem Reports 40+ Months
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 14:47:35 -0400

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> We're not talking about closing the bugs, but confirming that the bug is
> still relevant.  Tho, in the absence of a reply by the bug-submitter
> within a month (say), we could also decide to close the bug.

I imagine most responses will be of two kinds:

1) No reply. Then what?

2) A slightly annoyed "yes, of course my wishlist/doc bug/whatever"
still applies, didn't you read it/test it/try my patch?".

The useful replies I expect to be a small minority ("It was fixed in
24.1", "I misunderstood and this is not actually a bug", etc.)

So I expect the result will be mostly be to annoy the bug reporters.

> The idea is to ask the bug-submitter's help.

Well, ok.

> I think this classification can be made automatically/heuristically
> by checking if the last message was from a developer.

I'm not optimistic that an automatic process can tell us much, but I
guess we'll see.