Re: Unanswered Emacs Problem Reports 40+ Months

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Unanswered Emacs Problem Reports 40+ Months
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 15:10:04 -0400

Christian Bryant wrote:

> I will shoot a handy report every 50-100 bugs over to Stefan
> with those who answered with a slightly annoyed "yes".  Taking
> those in chunks and having new Emacs team members whittle them
                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm not aware that there are any such people with interest in dealing
with long-standing bug reports.

> I've performed tasks like this many times at work, for the same
> reasons:  I saw a report where a specific application or library
> not only dominated the bug report, but had the oldest bugs, too.
> Maybe a year from now, or two or three years from now, some other
> application can take that honor.

Up until a little over 40 months ago, no-one other than Emacs was using
debbugs.gnu.org, so the fact that almost all very old open bugs are
Emacs ones tells us nothing. Sources such as
http://debbugs.gnu.org/rrd/emacs.html are more informative.

BTW, there's no point querying anything tagged "confirmed" or "help"
(not that many things are), or "wontfix". Things with severity
"wishlist" or higher than "normal" are quite likely to still be
applicable (actually, I suppose, maybe, anything with severity !=
"normal"). Things tagged "moreinfo" are likely to ... need more
information.