Re: cosmic timeout

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: cosmic timeout
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2013 05:44:04 +0200

> Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2013 00:20:15 +0100
> From: Jarek Czekalski <address@hidden>
>
> Is anyone able to give a reasonable explanation to this part of
> process.c (repeated 2 times):
>
> 114031       eggert@ |       timeout = make_timespec (100000, 0);
>
> This is 100000 seconds, more than a day.

This is "infinite wait", yes.  See the commentary to that function:

   NSECS is:
     an additional duration to wait, measured in nanoseconds
     If TIME_LIMIT is zero, then:
       If NSECS == 0, there is no limit.  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
       If NSECS > 0, the timeout consists of NSECS only.
       If NSECS < 0, gobble data immediately, as if TIME_LIMIT were negative.

> I guess that freezes my Emacs when I play with a vertical scroll
> bar.

It shouldn't: scroll-bar input counts as input, and should stop the
wait.  Some other factor is at work here.

Perhaps you could post your findings, and let others suggest ideas
for further debugging.