Re: cosmic timeout

From: Jarek Czekalski
Subject: Re: cosmic timeout
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2013 08:42:14 +0100

W dniu 11/03/2013 04:44 AM, Eli Zaretskii pisze:
This is "infinite wait", yes.  See the commentary to that function:

My bad. Indeed it works according to the docs.

I guess that freezes my Emacs when I play with a vertical scroll
bar.
It shouldn't: scroll-bar input counts as input, and should stop the
wait.  Some other factor is at work here.

Perhaps you could post your findings, and let others suggest ideas
for further debugging.

Findings are that gtk gets stuck in all threads waiting on poll-like functions. I wonder why do *we* want to wait infinitely. Or the other way: if there is a bug in glib, do we want to fix it or workaround it.

I will investigate, why the infinite wait is demanded by Emacs, but if you like to answer the above question in advance, that helps.

I use unstable Debian. When I change the infinite wait to something like 0.1 sec, it seems to stop freezing. And undocumented function g_main_query_context returns sometimes 0 and -1. Maybe in this case our xgselect should not pass the infinite timeout to its further gnome calls.

Thanks,
Jarek