Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r115058: * lisp/iswitchb.el (iswitchb-mode): Mar

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r115058: * lisp/iswitchb.el (iswitchb-mode): Mark ob
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 20:24:55 -0500

> Did I miss a discussion somewhere about obsoleting iswitchb and
> replacing it with icomplete?

It's a simple fact that since the default C-x b now does substring
completion by default (since 24.3, IIRC), and since icomplete-mode
now provides the few extra commands to "rotate" the list of completions,
it now makes iswitchb-mode obsolete, AFAIK.

> The obsolescence itself is a little surprising to me, as I personally
> know of a few people who prefer it to more featureful alternatives,
> but far more surprising to me is the designation of icomplete as its
> successor instead of ido.  It's my impression that ido is _far_ more
> widely used than icomplete.

icomplete-mode does not make ido-mode obsolete, indeed, far from it.
And if people want to use it, ido-mode is just as available as before.

        Stefan