Re: Does anyone have access to a Windows 9X system?

From: Dani Moncayo
Subject: Re: Does anyone have access to a Windows 9X system?
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 13:40:19 +0100

>> FWIW: I don't have any Windows 9X anymore, but if I were you, I'll
>> install virtualbox [1] (it is free software), and create virtual
>> machines for whatever operating systems I wanted to test things on.
>>

> Do you need a Windows license to run it?

It depends on what you mean by "it".  You don't need any windows
license for "using" VirtualBox (i.e. install it and create virtual
machines), but if you are going to install a Windows OS in some
machine (whether virtual or real), you need the corresponding license
(if you don't want to break the law...).

> From a license standpoint
> it's strange if one can run a Windows instance without owning any
> copy of Windows.

You can't.  See above.

--
Dani Moncayo