Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r115434: * subr.el (read-passwd): Disable show-p

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r115434: * subr.el (read-passwd): Disable show-paren-mode.
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 23:29:59 -0500

> IMO read-passwd should be in C and strip any extraneous
> text-properties and overlays after running all hooks.

I don't see why we should write it in C, but stripping away overlays and
text-properties would make sense.  Another approach would be to replace
chars with . not just in the display but in the buffer itself and keep
the actual chars in a text property.  The main property I want to
preserve is that normal editing works (tho you have to do it "blind"),
which is why the "hiding" is done in an after-change-function.

        Stefan