Re: Desktop tty frames

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Desktop tty frames
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 09:27:48 +0900

Juanma Barranquero writes:
 > On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 11:27 PM, Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:
 >
 > > If this -nw vs GUI thing is an important use case for the option,
 > > perhaps its doc should mention it. As in, "In particular,..." or
 > > "For example,..."
 >
 > But if you propose a way to make the docstring clearer, I'll commit
 > it, no-questions-asked'ly fast.

Huh, I think you answered the question Drew asked.  But I think the
place to mention this is in the doc for "-nw"!

 > > (Not sure what the default value should be, BTW.)
 >
 > The current default is to restore every frame in its original display,
 > which seems pretty sane to me.

To me, that does make sense for local Xinerama (multimonitor) setups.

But I don't see how this can be done reliably for remote X frames,
where the names of displays can change in arbitrary ways in different
runs, and typically do.  Inquiring minds want to know: Did you find a
way?