Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 18:07:01 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> `company-capf' is not in `company-backends' by default, though.
>
> Could you fix that, please?

Okay, it'll be there in the next release.

I had a few reservations about it, but the outward inefficiency of
calling all capf functions each time we issue a backend command
shouldn't be slow enough to notice in practice, and the Emacs 24
requirement can be taken care of by checking the version at load time.

By the way, do you think `lisp-completion-at-point' now has feature
parity with `company-elisp'? We could replace the latter with
`company-capf' depending on the Emacs version, but I'm not sure where to
make the cutoff. If it's just Emacs 24, the users of 24.1-24.3 will miss
out on features. If it's 24.4, CFEngine completion integration with
Company won't work with earlier versions.

The last point might be a problem for Ted anyway, though, since CFEngine
seems to support the earlier Emacs versions.