Re: enabling company-capf support in cfengine.el

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: enabling company-capf support in cfengine.el
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 03:32:33 +0200

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> It is.  I provide ElDoc support currently.  Is there a way to avoid
> custom work for company-mode, and instead provide a commonly
> understandable list of function definitions that works for ElDoc and for
> company-mode?  ElDoc is pretty simple, it expects me to do all the work
> to find the current function and write the mini-docstring for it.

Not at the moment, AFAIK. You're not the first person to notice this,
see the FIXME at lisp/emacs-lisp/lisp.el#755.

ElDoc works with the contents of the buffer, and until the user picks a
candidate, the buffer only contains the prefix.

But anyway, you're just duplicating a similar call from two places. The
bulk of signature-fetching logic should be reusable.

> it seems like Semantic integration would
> actually make sense instead of custom code for this.  Advice welcome.

Maybe. Sorry, I don't know too much about Semantic.