Re: PROPOSAL: Move to git, now that bzr is no longer a req.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Move to git, now that bzr is no longer a req.
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 09:53:38 -0500

>> > I don't see why this can't be a project convention, perhaps using
>> > .git/GIT_EDITMSG as Eli suggests.
>> I'd like Emacs to support it for all projects.
> And?  I don't see a problem:
>   (setq vc-message-file (format (vc-message-file-fmt vc-backend)
>                                 project-root))
> with the "obvious" (== I'm in a hurry, ask me if not) semantics for
> `vc-message-file' and `vc-message-file-fmt' (and don't shoot me if
> there are obviously better ways to implement it in vc.el or
> add-log.el, just do it! ;-)

That's the idea, yes.  But then you want to make sure the file is
ignored by the VCS; that it gets erased after commit, and things
like that.

Also, you'd probably want to "unify" that file and *VC-Log*, which
brings in more details with which to deal.

I'm not saying it's fundamentally necessarily hard.  But someone has to
write the code, and deal with the problems that can show up.

        Stefan