RE: About the :distant-foreground face attribute

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: About the :distant-foreground face attribute
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 13:12:59 -0800 (PST)

> > > That's a good point.  Basically, what you're saying is that
> > > instead of :distant-foreground we could have a :foreground that
> > > can be of the form (NORMAL-FOREGROUND . ALTERNATE-FOREGROUND),
> > > where ALTERNATE-FOREGROUND is used when NORMAL-FOREGROUND would
> > > lead to a lack of contrast.
> >
> > Please don't.  That too would break code that expects :foreground
> > to be as it is now.
>
> Why do you assume that the previous form will not be accepted?  Of
> course, it will be.

Accepted by what?  Are you thinking of `defface'?  Why would you assume
that I assume that?  I'm sure you will make `defface' etc. work.  I'm
sure that you will make all distributed `emacs -Q' code work, for this.

That's not the point.  It's about being accepted by, recognized by, and
useful for other, existing code.  If code expects a string foreground
value then it is not designed to DTRT with a cons etc.  This should be
obvious, no?