Re: Time to drop the pre-dump phase in the build?

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Time to drop the pre-dump phase in the build?
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 15:13:13 -0500

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> That's why the XEmacs portable dumper is better than the current Emacs
>> setup.
>
> Right, a portable dumper would be nice to have.
> Tho I don't know enough of the details to know what are the downsides
> (e.g. does it require relocation?  If so that means the file can't just
> be mmap'd read-only and shared between processes, right?).

Apparently there was an Emacs 21 patch, but AFAIK it never appeared:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2002-04/msg00723.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-02/msg02194.html

And it broke in 22:
http://knagano.blogspot.com/2005/10/portable-dumper-revisited.html

If you read Japanese (I don't), there's a paper at:
http://lc.linux.or.jp/lc2002/papers/nagano0920h.pdf
  (Has some startup times listed!)

Source:  http://www.sodan.org/~knagano/emacs/pdump