byte-compile-call-tree

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: byte-compile-call-tree
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 16:59:37 +0100

Hello,

`byte-compile-call-tree' is a great source of information about a
library created as side effect when compiling.  The information is more
complete and reliable that one could reach easily with other means.

1.  Currently, AFAIK the only mean to get the call tree is to bind
`byte-compile-generate-call-tree' and compile.  The problem is that view
people know that, I think.  It would be better if there was a command
available that one can find.

2.  There's even no mean to get the call tree as an expression without
hacking bytecomp.el.  The tree is destroyed by `display-call-tree' that
prints the output to a buffer.

3.  To the programmer, the current output is not so useful as such.
Programmers have questions like "do I use cl stuff in my lib, or can I
avoid to require cl-lib?".  Or "I want to get rid of using lib-foo in my
package - which of my functions call its function and which?".  It is
quite easy to extract this information from the call tree and sort stuff
by library (in a ~30 lines).

I first wanted to write a library for this kind of stuff, but I wonder
if we should better do this in Emacs.

Regards,

Michael.