Re: Fossil references in the Emacs tree - request for review

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Fossil references in the Emacs tree - request for review
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 16:13:50 -0500

Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> I believe I have identified all the Bazaar and CVS revision references in
> Emacs head.  My intention is to patch these to action stamps on
> conversion day.

Part of the point of ChangeLogs is that they are supposed to be usable
without the VCS, so IMO these references to revisions should never have
been there, and should just be replaced with the appropriate date.

Eg as it stands:

   * register.el (insert-register): Fix revno:114543.

is meaningless for a ChangeLog. "Fix 2013-10-07 change" seems fine to
me; I doubt anything more is needed. (I assume the VCS log will still
contain the specific commit reference.)