Re: Inhibit "Wrote foo" from write-region

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Inhibit "Wrote foo" from write-region
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 08:50:20 -0500

> I presume, there is little chance to change this behaviour for
> noninteractive use?

Definitely not for 24.4.

Afterwards, someone could try and look at the issue in more detail, but
it's risky, since it's a fairly low-level primitive called from many
different packages.  We'd have to go and check how all these calls would
be affected.

> I understand, that these messages are important to many users in an
> *interactive* session, and that changing or removing them would be
> backwards-incompatible, but do these messages really matter in
> a *noninteractive* session?

I find it's usually a bad idea to try and do things differently based on
whether the session is interactive or not.  It's much more frequent that
the deciding factor should be "called interactively or not".

        Stefan