RE: Default history-length should be higher

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Default history-length should be higher
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 00:45:17 -0800 (PST)

> > BTW, whether someone finds a history list of 1000 elements to be
> > long or reasonable might also have to do with how they access its
> > elements.
> >
> > If someone typically just cycles among elements using, say, `M-p',
> > instead of searching (using, say, `M-r') or completing, then 1000
> > would generally be far too long a list - as would even 100 probably.
> > (I tend to complete against the history list.)
>
> All users should know at least M-r, it's in the manual, so it
> should be no argument against a longer history list.

I didn't mention it as an argument against a longer history list
(of which I am in favor).  My point was that what is long for one
person might be short for another person, depending on how they
typically access the history.

The mere fact that `M-r' is documented does not mean that user X
makes much use of it.  Some people are cycling drones.