Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r101338: * lisp/emacs-lisp/syntax.el (syntax-pp

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r101338: * lisp/emacs-lisp/syntax.el (syntax-ppss): More sanity check to catch
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 14:43:30 +0200

Hi Stefan,

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
> -                      ;; Simple sanity check.
> +                      ;; Simple sanity checks.
> +                         (< (point) pos) ; backward-paragraph can fail here.

Why `<' and not `<='?

In mmm-mode, we call the default font-lock-fontify-region function with
bounds of each subregion as arguments, and we also try to limit
`syntax-ppss' to these regions, so the `syntax-begin-function' brings
point to the beginning of the current subregion.

So `mmm-beginning-of-syntax' won't move point at all if it's at the
beginning of a subregion. And I think it's okay, and `syntax-ppss'
should use the position obtained this way.

Blast from the past over,
Dmitry.