Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r101338: * lisp/emacs-lisp/syntax.el (syntax-pp

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r101338: * lisp/emacs-lisp/syntax.el (syntax-ppss): More sanity check to catch
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 17:10:27 +0200

On 12.02.2014 16:26, Stefan Monnier wrote:
One option is to have a hook that takes a (POS . PPSS) pair, which
syntax-ppss intends to use as a starting point for parsing, and return
a new such pair to use instead, where the returned position should
always be >= POS.
A problem: suppose point is in a primary mode region, and POS is
in a submode region above it. Then we can't use the value of PPSS at all.

I don't understand the problem.  Of course your hook would return
a completely different PPSS to use along with the new buffer position
from where to start parsing.

How would it calculate the returned PPSS? If the PPSS passed in is in a submode region, the primary mode won't be able to use its value.

And the hook won't have access to earlier cached values. Or would it?

Or course, if the cache includes NEXT-BOUNDARY information, this situation should never happen. This'll have to be handled in the new `syntax-ppss' cache lookup logic.

Does the hook re-scan the buffer from the beginning?

I don't understand the question.

If we don't have a cached value we can use, we have to `parse-partial-sexp' from the beginning of the buffer.