Re: Freezing frameset-restore

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Freezing frameset-restore
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2014 09:27:29 -0500

>> Clearly, the returned list does not need to give an action for
>> all frames.  Only for those which we did consider. So we don't need to
>> call `frames-list' just so as to build the return value.
> I'm not sure what do you mean here by "those which we did consider"

The function returns the frames that it considered and what action it
took with it.  It will not necessarily return an entry for each
existing frame.

> any case, I suspect that I strongly disagree. For example, you could
> pass REUSE-FRAMES = :none, which wouldn't "consider" any existing
> frame at all, and yet want to delete all previously-existing frames.

I don't see why that would be problem.  The returned list simply
wouldn't mention any of the existing frames, so if you want to delete
those you'll have to call `frame-list'.

> And even in our scarce two uses cases, already one of them
> (frameset--jump-to-register) does need a cleanup other than
> delete-frame, because its default action (copied from
> frame-configuration-to-register) is to iconify.

Look at it not as "move stuff from frameset-restore to its caller" but
as "split frameset-restore into two functions".

        Stefan