Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116461: Connect electric-indent-mode up with CC

From: Stefan
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116461: Connect electric-indent-mode up with CC Mode. Bug #15478.
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 21:13:50 -0400

>> It seems now that your main (only?) objection is having RET do
>> reindent-then-newline-and-indent instead of having it only do
>> newline-and-indent.  If that's the case, then let's focus on this.
>> In what scenario is it a problem?
> Let me ask this, in what scenario does it actually do anything useful?

When you edit a line in such as way that this line's indentation is not
correct any more and then you hit RET.  E.g. start from

       foo();

put point right before "f" and type: "end RET".
Of course, in a language that uses "begin ... end" or something like that.

> All the cases I can think of it's a nop, except when the indent guessing
> is flat out wrong, and then it's just annoying (Grrrr, M-_ C-q RET TAB).

Yes, electric-indent is a pain when the indent guessing is wrong.
But that holds for all electric-indent-chars.

        Stefan