Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116461: Connect electric-indent-mode up with CC

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116461: Connect electric-indent-mode up with CC Mode. Bug #15478.
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 21:12:38 +0000

Hello, Stephen.

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 03:59:09PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Stefan writes:

>  > > In text mode, if the buffer contains
>  > > -----------------------------------------
>  > > foo
>  > >    bar
>  > > -----------------------------------------

>  > > and point is at the start of the second line, and I type RET, it gives

>  > > -----------------------------------------
>  > > foo

>  > > bar
>  > > -----------------------------------------

>  > > This is clearly wrong.

>  > I don't see what is "clear" about it being wrong, sorry.
>  > I see you don't like it (and Richard apparently doesn't like it either),
>  > but that's a different problem.

> It would be nice if you guys would avoid using keystrokes instead of
> commands in this discussion.  I think it's perfectly reasonable to
> swap the usage of CR and LF from `newline' and `newline-and-indent' to
> `newline-and-indent' and `newline', respectively.

That's the consensus that was reached here last autumn, at least for
programming modes.  There was surprisingly little objection, not even
from me.  I think Drew is the only main objector.  For other modes, I
don't think such a consensus was reached at all.

> That may disconcert us oldtimers, but I suspect it's what newcomers to
> Emacs will expect.[1] And it's easy enough to "fix" if you don't like
> it.  But I hope that's not what Alan's talking about, although it's
> entirely unclear to me if that's what Stefan's talking about.

The entire section was a bug report by RMS, as was made clear in my post
before the attribution was removed by an overenthusiasticly cutting
reply, as so often happens in this group.

I think Richard was partly taking the role of a new user, and was partly
bewildered, possibly put out, himself.

> That is, if what Alan means by "type RET" is "type a keystroke bound
> to `newline'", then my preference accords with his.

I don't think that was what Richard (not me) meant - I think he meant
literally and spritiually what he wrote.

> For my usage that behavior is *clearly* *wrong*, as in text modes when
> there's leading whitespace on a line, either *I* put it there, or some
> electrically- crapified command that I just disabled the electricity on
> did (and it won't happen again, so there's no reason not to fix it by
> hand this time).

Yes.  I don't think this electric behaviour should be present in Text
Mode (and similar) either.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).