A question about spellchecker

From: arthur miller
Subject: A question about spellchecker
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 06:21:54 +0200

Just a simple question: why is there no spellchecker by default included in Emacs?

Hunspell seems to be most widely used at the moment, it is GPL-d and avaialable as a dll and or static lib to link with. Is there some special reason why it is not
included in Emacs as a default fallback so that users don't have to spend hours in configuring diverse options? If it is desired to use some other "ispellesque"
spell editor, Emacs could just unload hunspell, and re-bind its ispell/flyspell functions to another dll, or exe. For me running hunspell as a separate process from Emacs is
painfully slow compared to how some other applications work. Shouldn't it be a bit faster if spellchecker was just a dll/so to load instead of starting up another process from Emacs
and communicating through pipes?

I guess I am not the only one to come up with the thought, so I am just curious to what is behind the decision to still keep spellchecker out of Emacs?