Re: some feedback on package.el changes

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: some feedback on package.el changes
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 17:00:42 -0400

> I love these changes to package.el, they're great.
> But I am annoyed at the way they've been done.  It breaks the existing
> API all over the place and this is a minor release.

There was no API (package.el was only meant to provide a UI).
As an API it was fundamentally broken (and probably is to some extent),
so there was no way to fix the API without breaking compatibility (and
compatibility will probably need to be broken again when the remaining
problems get fixed).

If you use the "API", then you had better participate actively here,
explaining what you need, providing patches to improve package.el for
your advantage.

        Stefan