Re: sources and scripts for generated files

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: sources and scripts for generated files
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 10:32:50 +0200

On 26.05.2014 07:33, Jan Djärv wrote:
Hello.

26 maj 2014 kl. 04:31 skrev Glenn Morris <address@hidden>:

Does emacs-24 contain all the sources and scripts that are needed
to create any generated files in the tree?

E.g. do we need to add
http://www.unicode.org/ivd/data/2012-03-02/IVD_Sequences.txt
to admin/mac? It's ~ 1MB, and is used to create src/macuvs.h.

IMHO, this is more a legal issue than a practical issue.
Say we add the file to Emacs.  There is no point in re-generating src/macuvs.h
unless the file changes, and then the one distribiuted with Emacs is not used
anyway.

But someone with insight to the GPL have to answer this.

        Jan D.

Hi Jan,

assume you are kidding.

If not kidding, I'm still wondering, resp. asking: please make the GPL a text
every Emacs core developer may understand without undergoing expensive
law-studies.

Not to hide my personal view: of course there is no legal question. GPL requires the sources of built executable to be shipped, but not the stuff mayby useful for writing the sources.

Andreas