Re: Split off some backends from Company?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Split off some backends from Company?
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 08:38:56 -0400

> Doing that with company-bbdb would be hard, but looks like it'll be obsolete
> as soon as `message-completion-function' starts behaving correctly:
> `message-expand-name-databases' includes `bbdb' by default.

Oh, right, I had forgotten about that one.

>>> Maybe also company-yasnippet.
>> Same here.
> Probably not: using yasnippet as a completion source is a questionable
> decision, which each user should make themselves. It replaces the advertised
> way to interact with yasnippet (type the snippet key, press TAB), and the
> recommended way to use this backend is to group it with others, not by
> itself (think `completion-table-merge' instead of
> `completion-table-in-turn'), so putting it in
> `completion-at-point-functions' would probably be misguided.

I see what you mean, but why does this need another package?
It seems the code could/should be in yasnippet, controlled by
something like a minor-mode.

> Hmm, yes. I guess we could do that if the user explicitly
> installed a backend package.

I think it's "should" rather than "could", because it's important for
the installation to be as straightforward as possible.

        Stefan