Re: Further CC-mode changes

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Further CC-mode changes
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 16:24:50 -0400

Alan Mackenzie wrote:

>> It's work I did, pro bono.  Just enjoy it.
>
> No, you haven't.  What's the equivalent of `syntax-propertize' in XEmacs,
> or an old GNU Emacs?  "Somebody" (tm) has to write a compatibility macro
> which will look something like this:

No, nobody has to do that.

You've got limited time to work on cc-mode, and more issues than you can
solve. If you choose to spend some of that time supporting old Emacs
versions (and XEmacs by now is a very old Emacs version), then that is
reducing the amount of time you can spend on eg improving C++11 support
(to pick a non-random example). IMO this is a clear loss, so I hope you
will reconsider your position on that.

I imagine Stefan is one of the few people capable of
modernizing/simplifying/standardizing cc-mode, so FWIW I strongly
encourage you to accept the offer.