Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r117941: Default to stack objects on non-GNU/Lin

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r117941: Default to stack objects on non-GNU/Linux, non-DOS_NT platforms.
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 08:52:18 -0400

> IMO 1) any discussions whether to make USE_STACK_LISP_OBJECTS the default
> makes no sense until we know whether it's worth the complexities at all.
> For the latter, we need a lot of feedback from users, preferably with
> the very different usage patterns and workloads.

Actually, I can't see how workloads will affect the result.
What kind of feedback do you expect (other than bug-reports)?
If the only thing we expect are bug reports, then clearly we should
simply never enable this new code.

IIUC the point of this new code is to improve performance, but I can't
imagine any situation where the difference would be so fantastically big
that some user would send us feedback about it.

IOW the data needed to argue in favor of enabling this code is a few
benchmarks showing that performance is improved by some non-negligible
amount for some half-real use-cases.

        Stefan