Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-24 r117559: Fix bug #18636 with documentation of

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-24 r117559: Fix bug #18636 with documentation of multi-monitor displays.
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2014 07:37:34 +0200

Hi.

8 okt 2014 kl. 23:31 skrev Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>:

>>> "side bar" was never mentioned before now.
>> It's popular terminology, not something specific to Emacs.
>
> FWIW, like Glenn, I don't know exactly what are taskbars and sidebars.
> I vaguely know they're thingies that I've heard mentioned, especially in
> a Windows context.
>
>> I found it very hard to be OS-agnostic here and still convey the ideas.
>
> Agreed.
>
> I think replacing "the task bar and side bar" with "task bars and side
> bars" is about as good as we can make it.
> Better not add terminologu such as "panels" (used also in XFCE), since
> these have a fairly strong but different meaning in other systems and
> will just lead to more confusion.

Gnome uses taskbar and panel: "TaskBar displays icons of running applications
on the top panel or alternatively on a new bottom panel."  It seems taskbar is
a specialized panel, in that case "panel" would be appripriate.  I think we
need some words describing whatever term gets used.

Sidebar is new to me, a panel on the side?

        Jan D.