Aborting display. Is this possible?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Aborting display. Is this possible?
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 14:17:13 +0000

Hello, Emacs.

A lisp program can influence an ongoing display operation by setting
redisplay-dont-pause to nil.  When input arrives, the displaying is
immediately paused.

However, at the next opportunity, the displaying carries on where it
left off, rather than being aborted.  It would be nice to arrange for
such abortion to happen, leaving the partly completed display visible on
the user's video.

Why?  Better to handle a user auto-repeating on the PageDown key.  On my
system, auto-repeat is around 35-40 characters per second, on a window
with 65 lines.  In my favourite mode, display can not keep up.  If I set
redisplay-dont-pause to nil and hold down PageDown, what the user sees
is frozen for several seconds whilst display determines the display of
every intermediate buffer position (which isn't going to get displayed
anyway) before finally reaching point.

Would it be possible to enhance display such that incoming input would
abort the current display operation?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).