Re: Aborting display. Is this possible?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Aborting display. Is this possible?
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 18:38:07 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 09:00:03PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 17:14:03 +0000
> > Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
> >   address@hidden
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>

> > I still say an optimisation to the scrolling code, where an option could
> > specify that all faces are of the same size (or should be deemed to be
> > so) is called for here.

> Details, please!  What option, how it will be used, and how do we
> ensure it is not abused -- these are the first issues I'd like to
> hear.

The option (haven't got a good name for it yet, so let's just call it
"Foo") would cause the display engine to bypass fontification whenever
the event queue is non-empty.  Instead, it would assume all characters
without a `face' property had the Foo property.

Some working code would be a better thing than mere words.  I'm going to
try and hack out a proof of concept.

> And I still think you are barking up the wrong tree: the CC Mode is
> slow, so it is the one that needs to be worked on.

That as well.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).