Re: Turning off colorization

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Turning off colorization
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2014 13:13:06 -0500

There are many different forms of highlighting that some users might
prefer.  General customization facilities are the way to cater to all
those preferences.

However, anyone may need to turn off highlighting for a particular
file because (1) font lock is too slow for it or (2) too much text is
in a dark color and hard to see.

Thus, I suggest we give M-x font-lock-mode some obvious aliases,
and put a switch for it into the Options menu.

Stefan wrote:

  > syntax-highlight-mode sounds like a very good alias for
  > global-font-lock-mode.  I'd welcome a patch which takes care of that.

That's not what we need.

The global setting is a default.  Once you specify the defaults you
want, you will probably never change that setting again.  What we
need, for the default, is to make it easy to specify the settings
permanently (in .emacs).

However, you will need to turn off highlighting occasionally
in a particular buffer because of specific problems.

We should make obvious ways to toggle it in the current buffer.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation