Re: package.el, auto-installation, and auto-removal

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: package.el, auto-installation, and auto-removal
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 19:21:10 -0500

> Unless you have such a "fake" package you cannot easily share your
> packages with anyone else.

It can be shared the same way other Custom settings can be shared.

> In fact, I don't think that a package representing just my package state
> is particularly useful.  I use this sort of package as a way of passing
> round a curated list of packages to other users, in a team at work for
> example.

But, IIUC, the current package.el supports this use case already without
any problem, right?

Anyway, I'll just drop this discussion because it's taking much more
time than writing the code.  All I'm after is a way to get things like
auto-removal of unrequired packages, and to have a more declarative way
to specify which packages you want to install and see which packages
you installed.

> "new users should install technomancy's user-packages because they're a
> great starting point" people will say.

But people can already do that, so it's a different issue from the one
I'm after.

        Stefan