Re: Network security manager

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Network security manager
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 06:46:47 -0500

On Wed, 19 Nov 2014 12:23:19 +0100 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
wrote:

LMI> Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
>> I mean that EWW's visual indicators of identity and trust should be
>> global. Then you don't interrupt the user (they get cranky!) but show
>> them a visual indicator that something requires their attention. I can't
>> think of a better place that works in graphical and text modes and has
>> the precedent of embedded infobar-style buttons than the modeline.

LMI> Oh, I see.  I misunderstood you completely; sorry.  >"?

LMI> That does sound attractive...  eww would put an icon into the mode line,
LMI> and then the user could click it to answer the query.  A kind of "an
LMI> action is needed" thing.

Yes!  I don't know how it could work well in text mode, though.

>> Furthermore, I think it would make sense to use the same indicators for
>> GnuTLS connections in general (whatever NSM handles), not just EWW. I
>> couldn't find UI recommendations for mail clients, but from experience
>> with a few they treat encryption problems as a high-priority dialog and
>> interrupt the user experience until you say "OK, trust XYZ." Which is,
>> again, not ideal for Emacs so we should find a nicer way to indicate
>> problems without interrupting.

LMI> The other connections things are usually done interactively, so just
LMI> asking the user directly is more user-friendly.

I'm kind of 50-50 on this; I see your point but also think it looks
weird as a user experience, especially that you can keep typing and
accidentally answer "always".  Long-term we know we'll have all the
connections on background threads eventualy, so it's probably good to
handle that case consistently across all usage modes.

Ted