Re: Obscure error/warning/information message from git pull

From: Sergey Organov
Subject: Re: Obscure error/warning/information message from git pull
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 19:36:20 +0300

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Achim Gratz <address@hidden>
>> Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 13:14:40 +0100
>>
>> Branch foo consists of a label pointing at commit D and everything
>> reachable from D is on that branch.
>
> Now we are finally getting somewhere!  Others claimed that a branch
> _is_ just its label, and nothing else.

Branch /in Git/ is just a special kind of label, and nothing else. The
above is an abstraction built on top of Git's idea of branch. One can
get a chain of commits from Git DAG starting at branch 'foo' and call
the result "branch foo", if it suits him. Moreover, he can do this from
any reference, even from SHA1. If I get the same chain of commits from
branch 'foo' and from commit AF03276BC, is it the same branch? Is SHA1 a
branch? Is Git tag a branch? Why?

--
Sergey.