Re: git commit/push and VC

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: git commit/push and VC
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 19:17:43 +0100

Eli Zaretskii writes:
> There are still issues that I'd like to be sure about before I fix
> them.  Would people please comment on these:
>
>   . the instructions say that a "git commit" is necessary even when
>     the merge is without conflicts, which AFAIK is incorrect with Git

In standard configuration a non-conflicted merge will be auto-committed,
yes.  As always, that default can be configured to instead stop before
the commit.

>   . do we want to tell there that "pull --rebase" is recommended? that
>     would solve some of the issues the instructions are forced to
>     explain in so many words, which unnecessarily complicates them

I'm still in favor of configuring that preference, rather than asking
for options to be added to each command.

>   . do we want to explicitly recommend 2 different clones, one each
>     for master and the release branch? there's nothing in the
>     instructions about this, or about working with 2 divergent
>     branches in general

I've just got a new computer and it takes all of 0.6 seconds to switch
from master to emacs-24.  I've had a much slower one until two days ago
and I don't think it took longer than about 5 seconds even there.
Unless you're really working all the time in parallel on both branches
I'd say this setup is more trouble than it's worth.  Especially not for
the folks who expect Bzr semantics from this setup…

>   . GitQuickStartForEmacsDevs advises to use "git ci -a"; why not
>     suggest the same in GitForEmacsDevs? it seems a simpler setup

That is no git command.  Assuming that ci is an alias for commit, then
no, that is not a good recommendation in general.  If the only changes
you have belong to a single commit (a quick bugfix, say) then it saves a
bit of typing.  But if the changes should really be goign to different
commits for clarity, then this is ill-advised.  Again, if you use magit
you can even chose which hunk of a diff goes into each commit.

Regards,
Achim.