Emacs, Mac OS X Yosemite and restarts after sleep

From: Paul Michael Reilly
Subject: Emacs, Mac OS X Yosemite and restarts after sleep
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 07:19:36 -0500

I recently upgraded to Yosemite (fresh install) on a 6 month old MacBook Pro and noticed that upon being woken up after "sleep"ing, the system had been restarted.  This led to a triage by Apple support where the logic board was replaced.  Upon getting the system back I tested it again (sleep needs to be in place for around an hour, at least) and got the same problem.

I should note that this problem did not occur at all while running Mavericks and a devel build of Emacs 24.4 for the entire six months I had the new computer.

At the time of the upgrade I also built a fresh devel copy of Emacs 25.  Not believing it was a hardware issue any longer I became suspicious that it was a software issue in general and Emacs in particular.  So I ran a few experiments.

First I brought up just Google Chrome and a few auto-started apps of no import and let the system sleep for a few hours.  No restart after subsequently waking the system up.  No Emacs, no problem.

Next I started up a freshly installed version of the 24.4 Mac build from emacsformacosx.com and reran the experiment.  This time a restart occurred after waking the system up.

The final test was to use Emacs 25 built around the time Eric announced the git conversion ready for testing.  This test also failed.  Conclusion: Emacs and Yosemite do not play nice together.

So I have two questions:  1) would someone with a recent model MacBook Pro, running Yosemite and either Emacs 24.4 or 25.0.90 (fullscreen mode) please run the experiment and report back your results; 2) can someone suggest methods I can use to log relevant information on Emacs' termination or maybe even a breakpoint (I'm inclined to use both if I can).  Of course all other suggestions that will help triage this problem will be much appreciated.  It appears to me that Apple has changed something in Yosemite that would be good for them to know, not that that will lead to a solution from them.  I expect that will come from us, once we understand if and why Emacs is dying and bringing the system down with it.

Thanks,

-pmr