Re: mac os x: how do you run emacs in-place?

From: Angelo Graziosi
Subject: Re: mac os x: how do you run emacs in-place?
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 21:18:27 +0100

Sam Steingold wrote:
On a normal unix system one can run Emacs from the build directory as
"build/src/emacs", but it does not work on mac os.
Is there a way to run emacs without "make install" ?

How do you build it? Have you read nextstep/INSTALL?

If you don't use --prefix while configuring, 'make install' put all you need in nextstep/Emacs.app. Usually I don't run 'make' but directly 'make install' after 'configure', then I create a tar-ball

cd nextstep
apack foo.tar.xz Emacs.app

and install it in /usr/local

tar -xf foo.tar.xz -C /usr/local

After the first run, I have left it on the Dock and run it with that link, but sometimes I have run Emacs directly from commandline with

$ open nextstep/Emacs.app

or

$ open /usr/local/Emacs.app

Ciao,